Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I use to be!

Growing up, I know I must've given my mother and father such a challenging life!  I know that I was headstrong (big surprise!), stubborn (again, DUH!), tenacious (yes, even as a child!), and fearless.  What?!?  I was fearless???  NO WAY!

I mean, I know I am STILL headstrong, stubborn, and tenacious, but I don't see myself as fearless anymore.  In fact, if I were completely honest, I would say I've somehow become a scared-y cat.  Just yesterday, we went to this wonderful swimming hole, Green Springs!  It's alot of fun and yet for the life of me, I can't get past the "dark water" part of it.  I don't like jumping in to the water because I can't see what's down there.  I sit on the "ropes" and literally try to keep my legs and feet up near the surface because I don't want them dangling so far under the water (I know, pathetic!).  One of the girls that went out there with us yesterday was dealing with the fear too.  She wanted so badly to jump into the water.  She stood there and stared down into the water.  Her boyfriend even waited in the water for quite a while coaxing and encouraging her to jump in towards him and he would be right there to get her.  But, she didn't...all because of fear.

Now, I know that some folks who know my personality would probably say that I am fearless.  They "wish they could speak their mind" like I do.  They wish that they could just push through and DO things, be a "go-getter" like me.  Well, to me that is not fearlessness.  That's just part of the way God made me. Fearless, to me, is feeling in your heart the desire to do something so bold that you don't stop and look at the circumstances or surroundings telling you "don't do it".  You simply listen to what your heart is saying and jump-feet first! 

I am not a fearless girl.

I have looked back and tried to figure out just where I stopped being that fearless child.  When did I stop believing that I can do ANYTHING I put my mind to?  The only answer I come up with is this - When I stopped believing that in Jesus I can do anything.  When I take inventory of myself, I realize that I rely quite a bit on myself and I forget that Jesus and His power over death is the one thing that gives me ALL the power I need to be fearless.  His Word tells us over and over that we don't need to be fearful.  So, why do we still fear the unknown?  Perhaps it's because we don't fully understand just how powerful our God is.  The only remedy for that is to drown ourselves in His Word and in prayer asking God to reveal Himself boldly! Ask Him to show His power to us daily in our lives.  I believe that God can AND WILL do this for us, if we ask out of a trusting heart - knowing He will do these things.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.  ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.  ~ Philippians 4:13

Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart..  ~ Psalm 31:24a

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.  ~ Philippians 4:6


Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart.  ~ Psalm 27:14


For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  ~ Romans 8:38-39

No comments:

Post a Comment