Monday, August 26, 2013

ANYTHING AFTER THE CROSS OF JESUS IS A BONUS!

Yesterday at church,  I was, yet again, reminded that I do NOT know everything and I am NOT in control but my prayers are to a Sovereign God who DOES know everything and IS in control! 


Habakkuk 1 starts off by crying out to God for His help but blatantly stating that God does not hear him.  He cries out to God for rescue from his circumstances, but then states that God will not save him. 
He goes on to say in verse 4 that, basically, justice is on the downslide and life is just not fair...
Hmm...!!!  That sounds alot like how I pray to God!  I know I find myself crying to Him because I am hurting or out of control of my circumstances and I just want God to remove me from the situation (or better yet remove the situations!).  But, I then think to myself that it's not going to do any good.
Habakkuk felt like God wasn't listening.  He may have even questioned if he was praying the right way or if he needed to say things differently so that God would hear him. (been there, done that!)

What I realized through the message preached was that God's sovereignty GIVES Him the right to answer our prayers the way He deems best.  Now, I know that is something I have heard and known practically all my life.  But, when I stopped and thought about prayer and how it should intertwine with God's sovereinty...!!!  WOW! 

Ben said something that just rang so clear in my head.   "Anything after the cross of Jesus Christ is a bonus in your life!"  So the things I pray for, after my salvation in the blood of Jesus Christ, is all extra benefits given to me from a Sovereign God.  I am NOT guaranteed a good job.  I am NOT guaranteed a good marriage.  I am NOT guaranteed good friends.  I am NOT guaranteed children.  ANYTHING AFTER THE CROSS OF JESUS IS A BONUS!  

So, my hope and challenge for myself is to remember and apply these lessons to my daily prayer life.  Trusting God and knowing that He is sovereign.  His plans are so much higher than mine.  



O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not hear? Or cry to you “Violence!” and you will not save?
Why do you make me see iniquity, and why do you idly look at wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; strife and contention arise.
So the law is paralyzed, and justice never goes forth. For the wicked surround the righteous;
so justice goes forth perverted.  ~ Habakkuk 1:2-4 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment